Serkan Solmaz successfully defended his PhD dissertation entitled “Immersive Technologies with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) in Engineering Education”
Serkan Solmaz, one of the 15 ESRs of the EU MSCA-ETN CHARMING project, graduated as PhD in Chemical Engineering on Friday 20 January 2023. The PhD dissertation is entitled “Immersive Technologies with Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) in Engineering Education” and was promoted by Prof. Tom Van Gerven (KU Leuven). The study dealt with the potential use of CFD in game-based learning and vice versa of game-based learning for CFD training. Profs. Ilse Smets (KU Leuven) and Liesbeth Kester (University of Utrecht), both active in the CHARMING consortium, were among the members of the PhD jury. He is also starting his career at FlandersMake. Congratulations, Serkan!
A summary of Serkan’s research, the PhD dissertation, along with a list of Serkan’s publications are available below:
Serkan’s project investigates the potential multiphysics computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations with immersive technologies in chemical engineering education. The research targets the design, development and evaluation of user-friendly digital immersive learning applications with CFD simulations to teach complex engineering subjects in chemical engineering such as intensified mixing processes. The main objectives of the present research are; to apply CFD models and databases for chemical-model-based augmented reality (AR) and virtual reality (VR) design; to develop immersive learning concepts and paper prototypes with AR/VR technologies for intensified mixing processes; to translate design and operating principles of intensified reactors into immersive learning concepts with AR/VR technologies; to assess the integrity and promote guidelines for reactor models with CFD simulations in immersive learning environments with AR/VR technologies.
The thesis can be downloaded here https://github.com/sersolmaz/The-Virtual-Garage/blob/main/Thesis_PhD_Solmaz_2023.pdf.
List of peer-reviewed publications in scientific journals and conference proceedings:
- S. Solmaz, J. L. D. Alfaro, P. Santos, P. Van Puyvelde, T. Van Gerven, A practical development of engineering simulation-assisted educational AR environments, Elsevier Education for Chemical Engineers, 2021, DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ece.2021.01.007, download
- S. Solmaz, T. Van Gerven, Automated integration of extract-based CFD results with AR/VR in engineering education for practitioners, Multimedia Tools and Applications, 2021, DOI:https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-021-10621-9, download
- S. Solmaz, T. Van Gerven, Interactive CFD simulations with virtual reality to support learning in mixing, Computers & Chemical Engineering, 2021, DOI:10.1016/j.compchemeng.2021.107570, download
- S. Solmaz, T. Van Gerven, Integration of Interactive CFD Simulations with AR and VR for Educational Use in CRE, The 30th European Symposium on Computer Aided Process Engineering ESCAPE-30, 2020, 2011-2016, DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-12-823377-1.50336-0, download
- J. L. Domínguez Alfaro, C. Udeozor, S. Solmaz, D. Cermak-Sassenrath, Designing a Mobile Game for Introducing Learners to a Soap Making process, European Conference on Games Based Learning, 2022, download